For the past several years, China is consistently completing cyber attacks on India amidst tension on the India and China border. Recently there has been news of China’s Cyber Attack on India vaccine IT system by a Chinese statebacked firm.
• within the past, there are several cyber attacks on software from various regions of India by China-backed firms. Somewhere this step of China may be a involve a sort of cyber war.
What is Cyber Security?
• Cyber security refers to preventing unauthorized access to your Internet and network-based digital devices and protecting information.
• Cyber war may be a war fought through the web and computers. Many countries continuously conduct cyber warfare exercises to organize them for any possible cyber attack.
• during this system, websites are stopped with the assistance of viruses by attacking the other country and attempts are being made to paralyze the govt and therefore the industry. Computer spying is additionally a sort of a cyber attack.
Cyber attack on India by Chinese firm
• In September 2020, information was received that the Zhenhua Data Information Technology Co, backed by the Chinese government, was monitoring the digital footprint of quite 10,000 Indian individuals and organizations. It was a neighborhood of the company’s global database of “foreign data goals”, during which the corporate was building a “Global information library”. In this, the corporate was collecting information about people associated with web and social media platforms and tracking information like research papers, articles, and patents. This company targeted not only industries but also prominent positions, judges, scientists and academics, journalists, actors, sportspersons, religious personalities, activists.
• Just a couple of months later, Massachusetts-based cyber security company Recorded Future published a report. According to this report, a Chinese group called Red Echo is using malware to focus on an outsized a part of India’s electricity sector. During this point , the Chinese firm also attempted to conduct a cyber attack on 4 Regional Load Dispatch Centers and a couple of Ports of India. It was also speculated that the Red Echo China’s Cyber Attack on India cyber attack was possibly liable for the Columbus Day blackout ((power supply shutdown) in Mumbai, but the Union Energy Minister has denied this possibility.
• A Chinese hacker group referred to as the Chinese state-backed firm Stone Panda has targeted the IT infrastructure and provide chain software of India’s biotech and serum institute, consistent with a report by Goldman Sachs-backed cyber intelligence firm. This is a link during a series of cyber attacks on India of Chinese government-backed firms. With this, cyber attacks are often administered on the info of India’s Vaccination Program and Vaccine Friendship Program.
Possible reasons for cyber attacks
These cyber-attacks can cause the following
• The border dispute between India and China, which happened within the middle years, took serious form in 2020. This type of cyber attack may increase progressively as bilateral tension increases.
• Somewhere China is trying to vary the geopolitical equilibrium with this effort and also wants to determine regional technical supremacy.
Efforts for Cyber security in India
Privacy and data security: –
• Privacy has been declared a fundamental right by the Honorable Supreme Court. Discussions are on within the Indian Parliament on the info Security Bill which can soon take the shape of law. Various provisions are made for data security during this bill.
Information Technology Act: –
• The ‘Information Technology Act, 2000’ has China’s Cyber Attack on India been enacted in India. Sections 43, 43A, 66, 66B, 66C, 66D, 66E, 66F, 67, 67A, 67B, 70, 72, 72A and 74 of the knowledge Technology Act 2000 relate to hacking and cybercrimes. This act is additionally amended from time to time as per requirement
National Cyber Security Policy
The National Cyber Security Policy may be a policy framework created by the Department of Electronics and knowledge Technology. Its purpose is to guard public and personal infrastructure from cyber attacks.
Key points of cyber security policy
• The Ministry of Communications and knowledge Technology defines the objectives of the cybersecurity policy as follows
• to make a secure cyber environment within the country, to get sufficient soundness and trust within the IT system, and to market the digital economy.
• to make an assurance framework to market and enable actions for compliance with security policies and global safety standards and best practices through conformance assessment (product, process, technology, and people).
• To strengthen the regulatory framework to make sure a secure cyberspace ecosystem. • Create scenarios through effective forecasting, preventive protective response, and recovery actions for response resolution and crisis management to realize strategic information for ICT infrastructure to reinforce and build national and regional level 24 * 7 mechanisms
• Capacity building to make a workforce for 500000 professionals skilled over subsequent 5 years through skills and training.
• To provide financial benefits to businesses for adopting standard security practices and procedures.
The Indian Computer Emergency Response Team (CERT-IN) is that the nodal agency for analyzing, estimating, and warning cybersecurity threats.
Cyber Suraksha Kendra
• Efforts are being made to form cyberspace crime-free by fixing ‘Cyber Suraksha Kendra’ under the Digital India campaign.
• India’s worries have increased thanks to continuous cyberattacks by China. This is not only an attack on India’s technical sovereignty but also an effort to weaken India strategically. So far there has been no significant loss from the attacks which shows the cyber response capability of India.
• it’s necessary that India supports the Budapest Convention to stop such international cyber attacks. In the current technological age, it’s within the interest of the entire world